Incoming CDI students should purchase if they do not already own:
A HIGH-QUALITY SET OF WIRED, CLOSED OVER-THE-EAR HEADPHONES
These will be used throughout your four years of studio coursework. These headphones must either terminate with a 1/4" stereo plug or have the appropriate adapter to interface with 1/4" stereo jacks. Headphones are required in all classes meeting in CDI’s computer labs (including music theory and DAW classes).
• Audio Technica ATH M50x
• Beyer DT770 (80 Ohm version)
• Sennheiser PX100
• Sennheiser HD280Pro
• Beyerdynamic DT250, DT150 or DT770
• Pro Sony MDR-7506
• Sony MDR-Digital (red)
• Status CB-1
A PORTABLE DRIVE
Students’ audio hard drives should be:
• Solid-State (less prone to physical failure) or 7200 RPM Hard-Drive (no slower, as it is no good for audio)
• Have a USB 3.0 port (or higher)
• Most bus-powered drives (no external power supply) should be fine.
Recommended brands: Avastor, G-technology, Glyph, LaCie, Other World Computing (OWC) Seagate, Samsung, SanDisk, Western Digital (WD).
Students will have ample access to the department’s production facilities, which include five edit suites, six recording studios and two computer labs, to complete all course assignments. Additionally, NYU has computer labs where students can complete coursework. However, if you wish to bring your own personal computer system, the department recommends the following:
• Any Apple Mac laptop or desktop system. Keep in mind more RAM increases overall system performance as well as Digital Audio Workstation performance, a minimum of 16 GB of RAM is recommended. The NYU Computer Store also offers computers at reduced educational prices (212-998-4672) The NYU Computer Store also has a computer purchasing program offering students the opportunity to receive a no-interest computer loan for up to $3,000 with deposit. The program is sponsored by NYU and allows you to defer payment of your computer purchase and be billed in two equal installments on your bursar's bill. The student deferment program is open to enrolled students prior to the Fall and Spring semesters of each academic year. Information is on the bookstore’s website.
AN AUDIO INTERFACE
A one- or two-input audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo or 2i2 are affordable units) is recommended, but not required. Interfaces provide monitoring capabilities, built-in microphone pre-amp, and direct input for electric guitars and electronic instruments. It is possible to listen to the output of audio software without an interface, however, the interface’s input options make recording much more flexible and easy.
Students interested in Ableton Live, Avid Pro Tools, Avid Sibelius or audio plug-ins are advised to consult the manufacturers’ websites for information on educational/student pricing. (Apple typically does not offer special pricing on Logic.)