Format: 1 PAGE
- Include information about how you have spent the last four years. We are interested in:
- Social and/or community work
- Creative projects
- Extracurricular activities
- Outside employment, whether it’s paid, voluntary, or family responsibilities
- Anything else you spend a significant amount of free time on
- Must also include:
- Your full name
- home address
- date of birth
- the name of your high school (or college for transfer students)
- Format: 1 PAGE
- Save as a pdf and name the file LastName_FirstName_Resume before uploading it to SlideRoom.
- Sample Resume - this sample is intended only as a visual reference; it is not prescriptive.
Below, please find the portfolio requirements for the 2021 application.
- We are looking for the next generation of storytellers. Choose one of the following opening lines and tell us a story using it as the first line. Be sure to build dramatic tension and include a resolution. We do not want an excerpt from a longer story.
- Opening Lines:
Didn’t you ask for scrambled eggs?
Don’t lie to me.
Is it just me, or is it getting crazier out there?
Things are never gonna be the same now.
- Format: Up to 4 typed, double-spaced 8.5” x 11" pages, written in prose format. This should be a short story, not a screenplay.
- Save as a pdf and name the file LastName_FirstName_Story before uploading it to SlideRoom.
Provide a 1-2 minute creative self-portrait where you show and tell us about yourself and what's important to you.
We encourage you to share information that we cannot get from other aspects of your portfolio submission. Your video should be in your own voice, in your own format, and not a reiteration of why you want to be admitted to NYU's film program. Be creative and have fun! What you choose to say and how you say it is up to you.
We will not be judging the production value of this film; we encourage applicants to use what is readily available to them (i.e. cellphones or computers). We are not looking for polished/edited videos; it is meant to be a short video where you show us and tell us something about yourself that we cannot get from other aspects of your application.
Save the file as LastName_FirstName_Yourselfie using whichever video format you prefer.
If you do not have the ability to submit a film, email firstname.lastname@example.org for alternative instructions. We will need to receive these requests at least five days before the application deadline.
- Respond to this prompt:
• You have chosen to spend a year alone on a very special deserted island. The island is equipped with housing, food, water, electricity, internet, a computer, a cell phone, writing/drawing materials, and a DVD player.
• Pick five non-essential items, including one book, one film/tv show, and three other (non-essential) items to bring with you to enrich your stay. What would these items be and why/how will they help make this time alone meaningful? This is not a survivalist question, nor are you trying to escape the island. Items must fit in a standard carry-on size suitcase.
- Your essay should be no more than 1 page in length. You can list your items and provide thoughtful descriptions for each or write your essay in prose format.
- Format: 1 page
- Save as a pdf and name the file LastName_FirstName_CarryOn before uploading it to SlideRoom.
- Provide a creative submission that showcases visual storytelling and imaginative expression of thought.
- The applicant must be the principal creative force of the work submitted.
- Follow all relevant guidelines and directions. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
- Choose ONLY ONE of the following:
1. Artistic Portfolio
• All categories are weighed equally - none is favored over another.
- Option 1: Artistic Portfolio (10-15 images):
1. A portfolio of 10-15 photographs, drawings, paintings, sculpture or set design work; please do not include films if you are submitting an artistic portfolio.
2. Your submission should reflect clearly developed ideas and themes and convey a clear and imaginative visual sense.
3. You may upload up to fifteen photographic or scanned images of your work.
4. If you would like to include an animatic as one of your "still" images, you may do so but it should be 20 seconds or shorter.
5. Still images and scans should be a minimum of 72 dpi.
- Option 2: Film or video (up to five minutes total running time):
1. Your submission should be a complete work of up to five minutes which represents your best effort and one which engages your audience.
2. Video footage of staged plays or theater performances is not acceptable. You must be the principal creative force of the piece (i.e. the director, writer, editor, or cinematographer).
3. We strongly discourage you from submitting co-directed or co-written projects, however if you choose to submit a co-created work, you must clearly state your specific contribution to the project.
4. We do not accept excerpts or reels. Your project should be a single complete work.
5. Be sure to test your video prior to submission. If you are submitting a link, please be sure no downloads or passwords are required.
- Option 3: Writing (up to six pages):
1. Your submission should be up to six pages of creative writing consisting of either a complete short story, complete film script, or complete stage play.
2. Do not submit excerpts.
3. FORMAT: Double spaced, prose or screenplay format where applicable. (Save as a PDF.)
- For all Creative Submissions, the exact credits must be specified. Please send the requested items only; no substitutions, variations, or extraneous materials. Failure to comply with these guidelines will be grounds for automatic disqualiﬁcation.
* Do NOT wait until the last minute to submit your creative portfolio. NYU offices are open 9-5 EST, M-F. SlideRoom Tech support is available 8-8 EST, M-S . If you experience difficulties outside of those hours, we will not be available to help you.
*Receipt of your portfolio will be confirmed via email from SlideRoom. It will not appear on your Application Checklist portal in real time. In other words, you may see that your “Artistic Review” (aka portfolio) has not been received. Do not panic. Please allow the admissions office several days to process the receipt of your portfolio and update your checklist.
*Fee: SlideRoom charges a $12.00 fee (you may pay this fee with credit or debit card).*
*If you requested a fee-waiver via the Common App, your SlideRoom fee will automatically be waived.
Note: portfolio requirements are subject to change each year.