Being the parent of a college student can be a source of pride and deep satisfaction, but it can also be confusing at times. It’s hard to know when to let your son or daughter handle things on his or her own and when to become involved yourself.  We welcome parents to call the Tisch Office of Student Affairs at 212-998-1900 with any questions you may have.  You can also find answers to Frequently Asked Questions below.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am increasingly concerned about the trade-off of staying healthy and maximizing our children's deep learning - something I fear Zoom classes cannot adequately provide.

Our faculty, who are some of the most remarkable experts in their field, have been working tirelessly since the University went remote last March to reconfigure their class syllabi to deliver the same high standard of education and training that we always have, remotely or otherwise. 

They are deploying their expertise in assuring that our curriculum is impactful and supports the quality in training the school has always offered. 

One interesting outcome: students are developing skills in how to train and make work within remote frameworks, as remote practices have inarguably become part of the field.

What about student access to Tisch facilities?

All of the limitations to facilities and equipment are part of our effort to control the spread of the virus and to implement contract tracing if necessary. We’re working to slowly and safely bring people back into the building and to provide more access to equipment.

One of our recent successes has been the reopening of our Riese Student Lounge at 721 Broadway. At 370 Jay Street, students have access to lounges on the 2nd and 12th Floors (room 1202 and 1204). Additional space is being secured for dancers on Second Avenue.

Students should check with the department chair or advisors for details. Please know space is limited, and we’ve posted health and safety guidelines.

How can my child make connections with other students during this time of social distancing and remote learning?

The best way for students to connect with each other is by becoming involved in student clubs and activities. 

Tisch has (28) extracurricular clubs formed and run by students. NYU has several hundred. Tisch clubs cross disciplines and enable collaboration by interest. All Tisch club programming is open and offered to all Tisch undergraduates. Helpful links: Tisch Clubs, NYU Clubs and additional resources from the NYU Center for Student Life

Can the Tisch teachers organize any outdoor events so that students can be introduced to other students in their programs?

We will always do as much as we can to connect and support students while  following these guidelines for in-person events. In the fall, we recognized the stress that some students were feeling as a result of limited contact with other students.  All of our departments, student government leaders, and student clubs hosted virtual events to establish community. We also created Tisch Reconnect, where first-year students were reconnected virtually in small groups with their orientation leaders to ensure our students are connecting with each other.

When are final exams?

The last day of classes is on Monday, May 10, followed by the reading period and final examinations from May 12-18, 2021. Every student’s schedule will be different. Students should review course syllabi and make plans accordingly. A link to NYU’s Academic Calendar may be helpful.

What if I am concerned about my child's safety?

If there is an immediate threat to your child’s safety, first call the New York Police Department at 911, then the NYU Office of Campus Safety at 212-998-2222. If the danger is not imminent but there is still a serious concern, call the Wellness Exchange at 212-443-9999 twenty-fours a day, seven days a week. You can also call the Tisch Office of Student Affairs during regular business hours at 212-998-1900.

How can my child access health services?

There are several points of entry into the health care system at NYU. For routine problems affecting physical health, students can call the Student Health Center for an appointment (212-443-1000) or simply drop in to the Student Health Center at 726 Broadway, 3rd floor to see a nurse. Routine visits and tests are free.

Students requiring medical assistance outside of normal business hours should call the Wellness Exchange, NYU’s 24-hour wellness hotline, at 212-443-9999, or dial 9999 from any campus phone. Parents can also call the Wellness Exchange for advice about how to help a sick student. Students with life-threatening medical emergencies should call 911.

How can my child access mental health services?

Counseling at Tisch and NYU is easily accessible, confidential and free. For routine counseling appointments, students can call Counseling and Wellness at 212-998-4780. A studentcan also call the Wellness Exchange (212-443-9999, or just 9999 from any campus phone) to speak to a counselor by phone immediately. Parents can also call the Wellness Exchange if they are worried about a student. Counselors can even visit a student in their room if the situation warrants it. In any mental health emergency, the best thing to do is to call the Wellness Exchange for immediate help. In a life-threatening emergency, 911 should be called.

How can I see my child's grades?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) prevents NYU from sharing student records with third parties--including parents--without the student’s expressed written consent. However, there are two ways to see your student's grades:

1) You can ask them to show their grades to you; or

2.) You can ask them to create a guest user status for you in their Albert account; this would enable you to log into Albert and see the grades directly.

How can I request additional financial aid for my child?

All things remaining equal, the financial aid award a student received upon admission remains the same until they graduate. Occasionally, though, a family’s financial circumstances take a turn for the worse. If this can be documented by a reduction in the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) derived by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or documented by some other means, the student can appeal online for additional aid by going to the Office of Financial Aid’s website and clicking the appropriate link. (The link will appear toward the conclusion of each semester) Appeals funds are limited and are not guaranteed.

How can my child resolve a roommate dispute?

Most problems between roommates are rooted in differing assumptions and expectations. The remedy is communication. Roommates should discuss such lifestyle policy issues as sleep, “visitors,” music (both what and when), sharing clothes and food as soon as they move in together. If problems arise, the problem-solving discussion should focus on how one roommate’s behavior is affecting the other, not on broader questions of character or personality. Compromise is the name of the game.

If the conversation doesn’t go well, the student should speak to the Resident Assistant (RA). The RA is a paraprofessional staff member who lives on a floor in an undergraduate residence hall and serves as a role model, peer counselor, resource and referral person, advocate, policy enforcer, programmer and leader for residents of the assigned floor(s). Sometimes RAs can mediate conversations that roommates can’t manage on their own. If that doesn’t work, the student should speak to his or her residence hall’s Residence Hall Director (RHD). The RHD is a live-in, full-time professional who oversees all of the day to-day operations of the residence hall. Students can contact their RHD at the Resource Center located in the lobby of their residence halls.

What if my child is struggling academically?

If your child is experiencing difficulty with a class—keeping up with the work, understanding the assignments, decoding puzzling feedback—the best advice you could give is, “Talk to the teacher.” All teachers have office hours; many are willing to talk after class. If that doesn’t work, the student should talk to an administrator in their department. These aren’t bureaucrats—they’re mentors, counselors, and advisors. Students can also come to the Office of Student Affairs and ask to speak to Anita Gupta, Assistant Dean of Academic Services, Jean Chen-Villalba, assistant director, or Dean Robert Cameron.

There are a number of other academic support services available to students. Students who have questions regarding the Writing the Essay course can call the Expository Writing Program at 212-998- 8860. Students who need extra help with a course offered by the College of Arts & Science can use the Academic Resource Center (212-998-2272). Students with documented learning or physical disabilities can receive support through the Moses Center for Students with Disabilities (212-998- 4980).

What if my child needs to take time off from school?

There are times when a student needs to take time off due to personal, financial or medical issues.  Students are welcome to speak with their academic advisor to discuss a leave of absence or to contact the Office of Student Affairs at or by calling 212-998-1900.

For more useful information for parents, visit the online Parent Resources at the Center for Student Life in New York.