Fall 2023 Tuition: $7,376
This online workshop introduces students to the theory and techniques of developing and producing short films that are shot and edited digitally. As most students enter the program with little or no experience in film or video, early assignments familiarize them with equipment as well as documentary, experimental, and narrative approaches. Working in online crews, students will collaborate to develop their directing, shooting, and editing skills as they produce music videos and short films (three to five minutes in length). Special emphasis is placed on storytelling through visual language. Students learn the basics of screenwriting through writing exercises, reading assignments, viewing online media examples, as well as the script development and research of their short films. Through streaming lectures and video meetings this online workshop will highlight the fundamentals of story structure, character development, communication of thematic statements, and visual storytelling, among other topics.
- The fall workshop is a six-week course with daily deliverables.
- The summer workshop is a four-week course with daily deliverables.
- Students should be prepared to dedicate 6-10 hours per week for this course.
- Students are required to supply their own technology – camera, sound, and editing – for this class.
- Students can shoot with their own prosumer camera, DSLR or cell phone that can shoot high quality footage.
- Students must use a desktop or laptop computer with a webcam, microphone, and audio capability.
- This online course works best with a fast, reliable internet connection, and requires Chrome web browser.
Application and Program Dates:
Fall Program Dates: Monday, October 16 - Tuesday, November 28, 2023
Application Deadline: Extended to October 2, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. ET