Non-Credit Tuition: $4,304
This online workshop introduces participants to the theory and techniques of developing and producing short films that are shot and edited digitally. As most students enter the program with little or no experience in film or video, early assignments familiarize them with equipment as well as documentary, experimental, and narrative approaches. Working in online crews, students will collaborate to develop their directing, shooting, and editing skills as they produce music videos and short films (three to five minutes in length). Special emphasis is placed on storytelling through visual language. Students learn the basics of screenwriting through writing exercises, reading assignments, viewing online media examples. as well as the script development and research of their short films. Through streaming lectures and video meetings this online workshop will highlight the fundamentals of story structure, character development, communication of thematic statements, and visual storytelling, among other topics. In addition, the course includes screenings of significant works, master classes, and discussions with industry professionals/Tisch faculty.
Spring Session I: January 25-March 5, 2021 (Registration is closed.)
Summer Session I: May 25-July 2, 2021
Summer Session II: July 6-August 13, 2021
Tuition and Payment
Credit cards are not accepted as payment for tuition. Students will receive an email with a link and NYU Office of the Bursar instructions on submitting payment. Students with a U.S. bank account may submit payment via electronic, personal, or bank check. Students without a U.S. bank account may submit payment through Flywire or Global Pay for Students by Western Union Business Solutions.
- Enrollment and registration is processed on a rolling basis.
- The registration deadline for Summer Session I is May 7, 2021.
- The payment deadline for Summer Session I is May 14, 2021.
- The registration deadline for Summer Session II is June 11, 2021.
- The payment deadline for Summer Session II is June 25, 2021.
- Applicants must be 18 or older to enroll in Tisch Professional Programs.
Course Hours and Technical Requirements
- Students in this course collaborate in groups and have weekly assignments.
- Students should plan to devote 10-15 hours to this course per week.
- Mandatory Course Platform Training will be held a few days before the class start date. (Students will watch a short, prerecorded video and have the option of additional live training if needed. This training will allow students to become familiar with using the online course platform before the class officially begins. The training will need to be completed by the first day of class.)
- Students must use a desktop or laptop computer with a webcam, microphone, and audio capability.
- This online course works best with a fast, reliable internet connection, and requires Chrome web browser.