Non-Credit Tuition: $4,304
Fall 2020: September 21 - October 30, 2020
Spring 2021: January 25, 2021 - March 5, 2021
This online workshop introduces participants to the theory and techniques of developing and producing short films that are shot and edited digitally. As most students enter the program with little or no experience in film or video, early assignments familiarize them with equipment as well as documentary, experimental, and narrative approaches. Working in online crews, students will collaborate to develop their directing, shooting, and editing skills as they produce music videos and short films (three to five minutes in length). Special emphasis is placed on storytelling through visual language. Students learn the basics of screenwriting through writing exercises, reading assignments, viewing online media examples. as well as the script development and research of their short films. Through streaming lectures and video meetings this online workshop will highlight the fundamentals of story structure, character development, communication of thematic statements, and visual storytelling, among other topics. In addition, the course includes screenings of significant works, master classes, and discussions with industry professionals/Tisch faculty.
- Applicants must be 18 or older to enroll in Tisch Professional Programs.
- Enrollment and registration is processed on a rolling basis.
- The last day to register for fall 2020 is September 4, 2020.
- Fall 2020 payment deadline is September 14, 2020.
- Spring 2021 registration will open soon.
- Mandatory Course Platform Training will be held before the class start date. (Students will watch a short, prerecorded video and have the option of additional live training if needed.This training will allow students to become familiar with using the online course platform before the class officially begins. The training will need to be completed by the first day of class.)
- Students in this course collaborate in crews and have weekly assignments.
- Students are required to supply their own technology – camera, sound, and editing – for this class.
- Students can shoot with their own prosumer camera, DSLR or cell phone that can shoot high quality footage.
- Students must use a desktop or laptop computer with a webcam, microphone, and audio capability.
- This online course works best with a fast, reliable internet connection, and requires Chrome web browser.
- Students should plan to devote 10-15 hours to this course per week.