Type or copy and paste your statement in the Personal Statement section within the online application. The personal statement prompt consists of Part A and Part B which should be answered separately.
Your complete personal statement should total 500-1500 words. You may not re-submit the same statement from another Tisch Special Programs application.
Part A: Answer all of the following questions, no matter which program you are applying to:
Tell us about an experience you had working as a part of a team on a collaborative project. What was your role? What did you learn from that experience? What do you feel you can contribute to a collaborative environment?
Why do you think you are prepared for this type of experience, and what do you hope to gain from it?
Why do you feel training and education are necessary to sustain a career in the field that you are applying to?
Part B: You must also respond to the question(s) for your specific track:
- Answer the following question: What does dance mean to you and how can you contribute to the greater dance community?
- Please provide a brief personal response to the Tisch Department of Dance mission statement, presented here: We seek to develop and prepare fully realized dance artists to be critical thinkers, fearless leaders, and fluent performers who understand their global responsibility and the transformative power of collaboration inherent in the expansive language of dance.
Drama (All Studios): Please describe an event that happened to you on stage, in performance, or while participating in a production, and what you learned from this experience.
- Dramatic Writing:
- Describe your interest in dramatic writing and indicate if you are interested in playwriting and/or screenwriting.
- What do you think the role of dramatic writing is in film and theater?
- What is your favorite film or play? What is it about this work that engages you?
- Please list your five favorite films and/or television programs.
- Please tell a story about yourself. This prompt is intentionally open-ended. We want to learn more about you and we want insight into your approach to storytelling.
Game Design: Describe a game that you've designed yourself. What type of game was it, what was the main idea, and how did it play? If you haven't made any games of your own, describe one of your favorite games and what you like most about it.
- Photography and Imaging:
- What is photography and imaging?
- Physically describe a photograph or image that you consistently return to view, then talk about how it engages you.
- Outside of photography, what do you love to do?
- Recorded Music: Let's travel in time and envision what the music industry of 2025 looks like. You've just launched a new music venture. What is it? Tell us how your music venture fits into the marketplace and how it has added value to the music industry of the future.