Proof of English language proficiency is NOT required from applicants who meet any one of the following criteria:
- Native English speakers (regardless of citizenship status)
- Applicants to the Grad Acting or Dramatic Writing programs. These programs do not require proof of English language proficiency from any applicants.
- Applicants who have earned or are currently earning a higher education degree (undergraduate or graduate) in a country where English is the language of instruction for ALL universities (e.g. US, UK, Canada, Singapore, India, Philippines, Malaysia, Nigeria, etc)
- Applicants who have earned or are earning a bachelor's degree from NYU Shanghai or NYU Abu Dhabi
- Applicants who are US permanent residents with at least 5 years continuous residency in the USA
If you meet one of these requirements and fill out the appropriate section of the online application, then you will not need to submit test scores. You do not need to contact our office to request the exemption as long as you have filled out the appropriate section of the online application.
If you earned or are currently earning your bachelor's degree from NYU Abu Dhabi or NYU Shanghai, please indicate on your application that you completed a four year bachelor's degree in the United States. Because these campuses are part of a United States university, you meet the requirements for the exemption.
If you do not meet one of the requirements for English language proficiency test score exemption as listed above but feel that you may be eligible for a waiver, please send a waiver request to firstname.lastname@example.org listing your full name, program(s) you are applying to, and a detailed explanation as to why you feel you qualify for a waiver. Your request will be reviewed by our admissions staff and we will reach out after we have made our determination.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY TEST SCORES
If you do not meet the requirements for an exemption or waiver, you are required to submit proof of English language proficiency to be considered for admission to a Tisch graduate program. We accept test scores from the following:
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test). We will accept results from the in-person version or the iBT Home Edition.
- Duolingo English Test
- IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic)
We do not accept results from the IELTS Indicator, the TOEFL ITP Plus for China, or TOEFL Essentials.
Only test scores that are two years old or less will be accepted. We do not have a minimum language test score requirement; the admissions committee takes a holistic approach to the review process, considering all parts of your application together to come to an admissions decision. That said, because all students must be effective communicators in English to be successful in the program, competitive applicants will submit very high test scores.
For the Duolingo English Test, please consult their website for delivery options.
For TOEFL, we will accept iBT as well as MyBest (Superscore) TOEFL test results. Please use institutional code 9633 and no departmental code 99 to have your scores delivered to us electronically.
For IELTS, please look up our institution using the following information:
Account Name: New York University Tisch School of the Arts
Address: 726 Broadway 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10003
For the PTE, please consult their website for delivery options.
SELF-REPORTING TEST SCORES
Applicants can self-report Duolingo, IELTS, PTE or TOEFL test scores on the application. We ask that you also upload the unofficial score report if you have it. Even if you self-report your score, applicants MUST make sure the official score report is received by our office within 30 days after you file the application for admission.
Do not self-report or upload scores that are more than two years old.