There is no application fee.
- Prospective films should be Narrative Features.
- Applicants must be current Graduate Film Thesis students, or eligible Grad Film alumni who have graduated within five years of submissions.
For the purposes of this award, we consider "Graduate Thesis Students" to be anyone who has completed their first two years of course work and is working on their Thesis film. You must be in good standing with the university (matriculated). If you are currently on a leave of absence, you are not eligible.
- To apply for the fund, the applicant must be attached to the film as the DIRECTOR.
- Narrative Feature Scripts must be no more than 120 pages, written in English, and written or co-written by the applicant.
- Graduate Film is the only eligible department. Other Kanbar Department Alumni are not eligible, including graduates of Dramatic Writing.
- The BFP is intended for first or second-time directors of feature length films.
- All applicants must submit a completed application link here to be considered for the award.
- Additional/Supplemental materials are NOT accepted after the application has been submitted.
- There will be no opportunity to update your script once the deadline is passed. Submit a script that is ready for judging.
- Though you may apply for the Prize each year for as many years as you are eligible, you may only submit the same project, no matter how revised, TWICE.
- Finalists will be notified and interviewed. Instructions for the interview will be given at time of notification.
- Winners will be announced online after winners have been informed.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I WIN?
By accepting the award, you will agree to abide by the following deadlines. Please consider whether you are able to meet these deadlines before applying for the fund.
PRODUCTION DEADLINES FOR WINNERS
You must have a cut of your film completed 30 months after the receipt of a prize.
Failure to meet these deadlines will result in the forfeiture of remaining prize monies. Extensions may be given by the Chair and approved by members of the Black Family Foundation.
Proposed budget cannot exceed $1,000,000
Please provide a Movie Magic Budget. If you are unable to provide a Movie Magic Budget, please provide the most detailed budget you have available.
Submit a polished sample of moving image work that you have personally directed.
The submission can contain one or more selections as long as the total running time does not exceed 12 minutes, however the sample should not be a show reel.
Should be 1-2 pages maximum