Frequently Asked Questions About Admissions

Have questions about applying to Tisch? We have the answers.

We know there’s a lot of information to sort through when applying, and it can be difficult to track down answers.  You’ve come to the right place.  Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about applying to our undergraduate and graduate programs.

If you don’t find what you’re looking for here, don’t worry.  You can always email or call us at 212-998-1900 for more information.

Undergraduate Questions

How do I apply?

You must first file the Common Application which can be found on the NYU Undergraduate Admissions page. A few days after you file the Common App you will receive an email from NYU telling you how to complete the artistic review part of your application.

Do I fill out separate applications for NYU and Tisch?

No. There is only one application for all undergraduate programs at NYU. However, there is a special section in the back of the application called "Special Admissions Requirements." This section lists what you must submit for your specific program at Tisch. All Tisch programs require an artistic review. Please visit the Artistic Review Requirements page for your department's requirements.

How do I apply for financial aid?

US citizens and permanent residents applying as freshmen complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE.  International students applying as freshmen and transfers complete only the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE. US citizens and permanent residents applying as transfers complete only the FAFSA.

Can I sit in on a class?

Because of the participatory and creative nature of many courses at Tisch, most departments do not permit prospective students to sit in on classes; those that do include Cinema Studies, Dance, and Performance Studies.


We award 4 points for any 4 or 5 received on an AP exam in most subject areas.  A maximum of 8 credits can be applied in General Education.  Any remaining credits will be allocated to electives.  You can earn a maximum of 32 points.

Graduate Questions

Can I sit in on a class?

Many departments allow students to informally audit a class.  Check with the Department directly.

Can I study part-time?

Under special circumstances, Cinema Studies MA students may attend part-time. All other Tisch programs are full-time only.

Can I apply to more than one program?

Yes. You can apply to a maximum of two programs in one year. You need to submit two applications, two sets of supporting and pay two fees. If accepted into both programs, you will need to accept the offer from one and decline the other as Tisch policy does not allow a student to be enrolled in more than one program.

Note - Applicants cannot apply to the following combinations of programs in one year:

  • MFA Filmmaking and Dual Degree in Film Producing
  • Cinema Studies MA program and the Moving Image Archiving & Preservation program 

do you offer application fee waivers?

Yes. Applicants for whom the $65 application fee poses a hardship can request a waiver by sending an email to Associate Dean for Student Affairs Robert Cameron ( In your email be prepared to explain the nature of the hardship and provide evidence supporting your request for a waiver.

Can I apply to a graduate program even if I don't hold a bachelor's degree?

A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution (or international equivalent) is required for admission to any of our Master's degree programs. 

In addition, applicants to one of our PhD programs must have or be in the process of completing a Master's degree in order to be eligible for admission. 

How do I submit letters of recommendation with my application?

On the Tisch General Graduate Application, once you have logged in, on the left hand side you will see a menu with all the different sections. Towards the bottom you will see “recommendations”; click on that. On the next screen, you will be asked to enter the names and contact information for two recommendation providers.

Once you hit save, the system will send them an email with a link and instructions on how they can submit the letters. 

I would like to apply for the fall but will not complete my undergraduate degree by the application deadline. Can I still apply?

You can still apply as long as you will receive your degree before starting classes with us in the fall. For the applicaiton, please submit your most up to date transcript at the time of applying, showing courses taken and marks received. 

If you are accepted into the school, we will then request a final official transcript from your school showing all courses taken and that you have received your degree.