What we look for most in an applicant is talent and the ability to work collaboratively. Whether you have extensive practical experience, or have spent most of your time in an academic setting, you’re encouraged to apply. All applicants must have a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent.
Applications are no longer being accepted for fall 2018.
What You Will Need to Submit as Part of Your Departmental Application
1. A detailed resume. Include both professional, theatrical, creative and other work experience. Composers, please include a complete list of works.
2. Sample Work:
A. Composers and Lyricists:
Recordings, no more than 20 minutes in length, plus relevant materials such as scores, lyric sheets, charts, youtube links or standard video formats, etc. Excerpts from a musical theatre piece are preferred, but other works (e.g., pop songs, song cycles, instrumental works, poetry, etc.) demonstrating a wide stylistic range are also encouraged. Please include a libretto and brief synopsis for the musical you are submitting, if available.
A pdf of a script for a musical theatre piece and recordings of songs written for it, or a pdf of a script of a play. Include a synopsis and reviews, if available. Non-playwrights may apply and should submit a portfolio that reflects their recent work (i.e. poetry, fiction, non-fiction).
3. This Graduate Musical Theatre Writing Program application (including exercises).
Remember, all of this material is separate from and in addition to any TSOA Graduate Admissions Application requirements.
When You're Ready to Submit Your Application
All applicants of the Graduate Musical Theatre Writing Program will submit the application through our online application form. Before submitting your application and supporting materials, please follow the guidelines below for naming and uploading files.
Please name your files according to the following format:
- Resumé: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_RESUME (i.e. SMITH_JOHN_Resume.pdf)
- Application: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME (i.e. SMITH_JOHN.pdf)
- Application Exercise Materials: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_EX#1, 2 or 3 (i.e. SMITH_JOHN_EX#1.mp3)
- All Sample Work and Supporting Materials: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_TITLE OF PIECE (i.e. SMITH_JOHN_SHELOVESME.mp3)
ALL SUPPORT MATERIALS MUST BE UPLOADED AS ZIP FILES. DO NOT UPLOAD INDIVIDUAL FILES. EACH ZIP CANNOT EXCEED 1GB. IF YOUR MATERIALS EXCEED 1GB, PLEASE UPLOAD AS "ADDITIONAL MATERIALS".