We travel, initially, to lose ourselves, and we travel, next to find ourselves.
For centuries, travelers have been documenting their journeys to parts unknown. The travel narrative is the “oldest in the world” says travel writer, Paul Theroux. This course examines the history of travel literature and photography, while also challenging each student to document his/her first hand experience of travel to Cuba.
We will reference a wide range of forms: the essay, the report, the journal, the novel, film, the photograph, and photo essay. We will also explore different points of entry: ethnographer, mapmaker, geographical explorer, photographer, adventurer, social activist and tourist. In doing so, we will hone in on principles of travel writing and photography, along with basic guidelines governing the interaction between word and image. Memory and history as essential components will inform our conversation.
The course will include site visits to 2 locations, exposing the student to everyday life in a rich and complex culture, in addition to brief weekly “walkabouts” to nearby neighborhoods. Students will be asked to document their travel experience in word and image into form worthy of a reader.
- Student Arrival: Tuesday, January 2, 2018
- Student Departure: Friday, January 19, 2018
Application: The 2019 January Term application will open on Friday, August 31, 2018.
Please read the following admissions information before starting your application.
- Undergraduate Tuition and Registration and Services Fee: $6,328
- Graduate Tuition and Registration and Services Fee: $7,760
Additional Fees Include:
- Program Fee (includes housing): $1,046
- Airfare: Approximately $850 (roundtrip from New York City)
Please review the Tisch Special Programs cancellation policy.
Visit the NYU Office of the Bursar for additional information on tuition and fees.
You will be housed in the Vedado district of Havana in home-stays (casas particulares). Students are provided with breakfast and dinner at their casas.
- Double bedroom
- Breakfast and dinner included in program costs
- Limited laundry facilities on-site
- No internet available in residence, but will be available nearby at additional cost
- Rooms furnished with linens and towels included
- No overnight guests allowed