Ulrich-Stewart Family Funded Internship Award
Applications open Monday, November 13th, 2017, 10am EDT
Tisch Office of Career Development is proud to present the Ulrich-Stewart Family Funded Internship Award, a resource exclusively for Tisch students completing summer internships at nonprofits and other organizations that typically offer unpaid internships.
This award will be offered to twelve students ($2,500 each) to assist them in gaining valuable experiential learning and professional development, independent of other compensation or financial need. The awardees will also receive internship application coaching from the TOCD staff, including cover letter/resume writing feedback and interview practice, so that they gain valuable career skills.
The Tisch Funded Internship Award is a one-time stipend that is awarded directly to the recipient. It is not affiliated with Federal Work Study or Financial Aid packages.*
In order to be considered for the Ulrich-Stewart Family Funded Internship Award, you must:
- Be enrolled full-time in an Undergraduate or Graduate degree-granting program in a department at NYU Tisch School of the Arts during Spring 2018, with the intent to continue full-time enrollment in Fall 2018. You do not need to be taking classes during the 2018 summer session to apply. December 2017 and May 2018 graduates, as well as visiting students at Tisch and NYU students with Tisch minors are not eligible.
- Be in good academic standing
- Plan to obtain an unpaid summer internship at a nonprofit organization, or other organization that typically has unpaid interns. Internships that provide compensation equal to minimum wage or more are not eligible.
- Plan to intern with a U.S.-based organization for at least 10 hours per week for at least 10 weeks between May 8 and August 24, 2018.
If you've applied for the Ulrich-Stewart Family Funded Internship Award in the past, you are welcome to re-apply. However, if you have already received the Award, you are not eligible.
We encourage you to also apply to other internship funds as you make arrangements for your summer. (This includes the Wasserman Center Internship Grant.) Recipients of the 2018 Summer Ulrich-Stewart Family Funded Internship Award will not have final consideration for the 2018 Summer Wasserman Center Internship Grant.
DATES AND DEADLINES
- Applications open on Monday, November 13th, 2017, at 10am EDT and will be accepted on a rolling basis until Monday, December 18th at 12pm EDT. Only the first 100 complete applications will be considered - if the 100-application limit is reached before December 18th, the application period will close at that time.
- Recipients of the award will be notified during the week of January 15th, 2018.
- Awardees will be required to turn in tax paperwork (W-9) to receive funds in a timely manner.
- Awards will be disbursed in two payments: 1) during the first week of June 2018 or the second week of the awardee's internship (whichever is later), and 2) upon completion of the internship.
Please note that awardees who do not obtain unpaid internships by May 1, 2018 will forfeit their grant.
HOW TO APPLY
- Application Form and Essays (see below)
- Sample cover letter, based on a current internship listing. Please be sure to include the listing for reference by copy/pasting it into a word doc and submitting that with your cover letter sample. Cover letters that are not accompanied by an internship listing will not be considered complete.
- Please note that a recommendation letter will not be required, nor will it be considered as part of your application.
The essay portion of the application is one of the most important components of the review process. Please answer each prompt separately and note the maximum character limits (which will not count spaces).
- Please list the internships that you plan to apply for, including the company/employer name, specific department/title if applicable (e.g. "Literary Intern at the Public Theater"), and a brief description of the internship. If available, please include links to the internship listing(s).
- If you obtain one of the internships that you apply for, how will it further your overall artistic and professional growth? (If you're interested in several types of internships, please note how each type would benefit you.)
- How will the grant help you meet your financial need? How will you benefit from the grant?
- What will you do if you're hired as an unpaid intern but don't receive this grant?
- What will you do this summer if you don't get an internship at all?
To apply to the Ulrich-Stewart Family Funded Internship Award, follow these steps:
- Click on the link at the bottom of this page to fill out the application form and submit your essay answers. This application link will appear below on Monday morning, November 13th, 2017. If you do not see a link to the form at the bottom of this page, it means that the submission period has either not begun yet or has already ended.
- Using the subject line "Funded Internship Application," email a copy of your resume and sample cover letter (including the corresponding internship listing) to email@example.com. Please do not submit your materials before November 13th - early applications will be deleted.
- Applications will not be considered complete and counted towards the 100-application pool until we have received all of your materials (application form with essays, resume, and cover letter sample). Once your application is complete, you will receive an acknowledgment from our office in 3-5 business days.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the award or application process.
The decisions of the selection committee are final. Neither the selection committee, nor the TOCD staff, will release justification for recipient selections or provide feedback on applications. Incomplete applications or applicants who do not meet eligibility guidelines will not be considered.
*International students will be taxed at time of check disbursement. All other student recipients will receive tax documents from NYU in January of the following year.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE ULRICH-STEWART FAMILY FUNDED INTERNSHIP AWARD ARE NOW CLOSED.
Details for the 2019 Award will be posted in November 2018.
If you submitted a complete application but did not receive an email acknowledgment confirming you were included in the eligible candidate pool, please contact TOCD at email@example.com.