Richie Jackson Artist Fellowship Application Information
Announcing The Richie Jackson Artist Fellowship!
Richie Jackson, Executive Producer of the hit Showtime series Nurse Jackie has established a fellowship program to assist the transition from the classroom to a life-long career in the arts. Up to four individual Fellows will be chosen to receive a $5000 stipend and be mentored by Richie Jackson, in monthly meetings over the duration of the program.
The Richie Jackson Artist Fellowship seeks to identify recent Tisch alumni who plan to make significant contributions to the arts. Applicants must exhibit exceptional creative potential, have excelled academically while at Tisch, and have demonstrated financial need during their tenure at Tisch.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- have graduated Tisch within the last three years and awarded a BFA/BA/MFA degree in Film & Television, Drama/Acting, Dramatic Writing, Cinema Studies, or Graduate Musical Theater Writing. Current students (including those scheduled to graduate in December 2018) and NYU alumni with Tisch minors are not eligible to apply.
- have demonstrated financial need during their tenure at Tisch by taking out a student loan (e.g., federal loan, private loan, etc).
- are New York-based or plan to be in NYC February-September of 2019. Housing and transportation will not be provided.
Please note that this award is intended for individual applicants. Teams will not be considered.
- The stipend for each fellowship will be $5,000 per Fellow. Monies can be spent as needed for artistic gain: e.g.; funding for a film, flight/hotel and entrance fee to Sundance, headshots, etc.
- The Fellows will have monthly meetings for the duration of the program with Richie in NYC.
DATES & DEADLINES
- The application period begins at 10am (NY time), Tuesday, November 6, 2018 and will remain open until the first 100 applications are received.
- Finalists will be invited for interviews in late January/early February 2019.
- Fellows will be announced in mid/late February 2019.
- Program begins March 2019 and runs until September 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
- Final NYU transcript. Unofficial copies are acceptable as long as they clearly indicate graduation from Tisch; however, finalists may be required to submit official transcripts as part of the interview process.
- One letter of recommendation. This letter should attest to your artistic potential/career focus as it specifically relates to this Fellowship. Please do not submit more than one recommendation letter, as those will not be considered. If your recommender prefers, the letter can be submitted separately by emailing it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Richie Jackson Artist Fellowship rec letter [your name]."
- Current artistic resume
- One artistic work sample. This should be something that best demonstrates who you are as an artist. There’s no limit to the sample length, but please do not submit more than one project as multiple pieces will not be considered. Please note that actors who don’t have performance footage should submit a self-tape of a monologue.
- Proof of student debt (i.e., copy of loan statement, promissory note, or other official document indicating the total loan taken). If you have loans from multiple lenders and have not yet consolidated them, please submit one statement per loan. Please do not submit any other documentation of debt, including credit card statements or bank statements. For applicants who do not have college debt, proof of need-based scholarships may be considered.
- Completed essay questions (see below)
The essay portion of the RJAF application is one of the most important components of the review process. Please answer each prompt separately and note the character maximum (not including spaces) for each.
- If selected, what do you hope to accomplish with the Richie Jackson Artist Fellowship? (max: 400 characters)
- Briefly describe your long- and short-term goals. (max: 400 characters)
- What are your strengths? (max: 400 characters)
- What are your fears? (max: 400 characters)
- For repeat applicants only: How have your goals and/or circumstances shifted since your previous RJAF application? (max: 400 characters)
To apply for the Richie Jackson Artist Fellowship, follow these steps:
- Click on the link at the bottom of this page to fill out the application form and submit your essay answers. This application link will appear below at 10am (NY time) on Tuesday, November 6, 2018. If you do not see a link to the form at the bottom of this page during the submission period, it means that the submission period has either not begun or has ended.
- Email a copy of the following documents to email@example.com, with the subject line "Richie Jackson Fellowship Application": NYU transcript, one letter of recommendation, current resume, one artistic sample, and proof of student debt. Please note recommenders can submit their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line "Richie Jackson Artist Fellowship rec letter [your name]." Do not submit your supporting documents without filling out the application form first!
- Please do not drop off or mail hard copies of your supporting documents to the Tisch Office of Career Development. These will not be accepted.
- Applications will not be considered complete unless you have filled out the application form and submitted all supporting documents. You will not receive an acknowledgment that your application is complete, nor will it be counted as part of the 100-application pool, until all of your supporting documents are received.
Once your application is complete, you will receive an email acknowledgment within seven business days.
The submission period will remain open until the first 100 complete applications are received. After that time, the application form link will disappear from this webpage and no more applications will be accepted.
The decisions of the selection committee are final. Neither the selection committee, nor the staff, will release justification for recipient selections or feedback on applications. Incomplete applications or applicants who do not meet eligibility guidelines will not be considered. Only candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
The application period for the 2019 Richie Jackson Artist Fellowship opens at 10am EST on Tuesday, November 6, 2018! Please check back on that date to submit your application.
If you submitted a complete application but did not receive an email acknowledgment confirming you were included in the eligible candidate pool, please contact TOCD at email@example.com.
All applicants will receive an update on their status in late January.