What does it take to produce a television sitcom, sketch-com or comedy web series?
Tisch School of the Arts has partnered with the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA), Australia’s leading center for education and training in the performing arts to give you an immersive experience in comedy television production and writing.
Spend your semester in Sydney and receive in-depth experience working in a television studio and learning the techniques of writing and directing for sketch shows, web series, and TV sitcoms.
- Work in a television studio environment, using single camera shooting in a four-wall set.
- Receive training in lighting and art direction techniques for single camera production
- Write a spec script for an existing television sitcom, a late night television comedy sketch and /or original web series.
- Write and direct short pilots for original sit-com, sketch-com and web series.
- Work with actors from NIDA.
Your semester abroad consists of the following four courses completing a full-time, 16-unit semester.
Student Arrival: Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Student Departure: Friday, May 18, 2018
Film/TV majors: Sight & Sound Studio, one other Sight and Sound course, Fundamentals of Dramatic and Visual Writing, and Production Safety & Set Protocol (FMTV-UT 101)
NYU and Visiting students: Fundamentals of Filmmaking I: The Art of Visual Storytelling (OART-UT 560) or college level experience in film production, and Production Safety & Set Protocol (FMTV-UT 101)
All students must complete Production Safety & Set Protocol (FMTV-UT 101) prior to enrolling in this program. The course is available in January Term.
Spring 2018: The application for spring 2018 is closed.
For more information please view our Admissions Calendar.
Please read the following admissions information before starting your application.
- Academic Year 2017-2018 Full-time Tuition, 12-18 unit flat rate per term: $26,451
Additional Fees Include:
- Housing: $7,442 for students in a 6-bedroom suite (estimated from 2016-17)
- Non-refundable Registration and Service Fees: $1,261
- Round-Trip Airfare: $1,500-2,000
- Visa: $375 (estimated from 2016-17)
- CSI Insurance $155 (estimated from 2016-17)
Please review the Tisch Special Programs cancellation policy.
Visit the Office of Global Programs for additional study abroad costs.
Hard Drive Requirements
Students enrolled in TV Comedy Writing and Production are required to purchase two (2) Firewire Hard Drives, one for editing and one for archiving/backup of their Film & TV media.
Two drives are essential for maintaining best practices in today’s digital workflows. Students can expect prices to begin at about $150, increasing with drive capacity and additional features. While there are many brands available, we recommend either G-TECH OR GLYPH for best results.
Film and Television majors can utilize their hard drives from prior production courses for this program.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
There are opportunities for financial assistance to study abroad.
Please review the Scholarships and Financial Aid for Study Abroad page for more information.
Visit the NYU Sydney website for housing options and descriptions.