Application Deadline: February 1, 2017
Admission is based on an evaluation of previous creative and academic achievements, a clear sense of critical direction, and compatibility with the aims and ideas of the program. M.A. students begin their full-time enrollment in September. Applicants to this program should apply online. The résumé, personal statement, and writing sample should be uploaded with the online application. Successful applicants may come from various backgrounds, including practicing artists, critical studies or arts institutions.
Please prepare the following:
- A professional résumé listing creative and academic background, work experience, creative work, critical writing, civic, activist, and community-based engagements, performances, installations, published work, etc.
- A statement of purpose (two to three pages double-spaced) that addresses (a) your critical, activist, and professional trajectory, in particular the resources you have garnered and the most salient constraints you have encountered; (b) your reflections on key and pressing issues in arts politics generally; and (c) the difference to your work and thought that you hope the program will make, and the project or intervention you would like to engage in during and after the program.
- A writing sample that reflects your ability to carry out sustained academic research and critical writing, and to successfully complete interdisciplinary graduate course work. A substantive essay is recommended but longer samples are acceptable, e.g., samples or documentation of creative and critical work or documentation or writings about activist, institutional, or organizational projects which you have initiated or taken a significant role in directing.
- Ask two recommenders to submit letters of recommendation using the online letter of recommendation system.
- Copies of academic transcripts from any schools in which you received a college degree or attended for two or more years
- Complete all requirements for application to Tisch as outlined by Graduate Admissions.
- Applicants may expect to interview via Skype after an initial application review process.
*Completion of the GRE is not required for admission into the MA Arts Politics program
Along with the above requirements, international students also must follow the requirements as outlined in our International Application Requirements page.
There is a $65 application fee paid at the end of the general application. The fee can be paid by credit card or e-check.
Graduate applicants must submit the General Tisch Graduate Application in order to be considered for admission.